Turkish Air Force Museum Yeşilyurt, Istanbul
The Turkish Air Forces have two different aviation museums. One of them settled in Yeşilyurt/İstanbul and the other one locates in Etimesgut/Ankara.
İstanbul Aviation Museum
At the end of World War I, the oldest of 1912, with the addition of several nationally owned aircrafts and one, two, and three pieces of all types of aircraft built by the Germans during the First World War in the hangars, led to the decision to establish an air museum in the Air Force Inspectorate. It has begun to confiscate the enemy seized aircrafts for the same purpose. However, these planes collected for the museum were thought to be taken to Kartal Maltepe so that they would not be damaged in the War of Independence, but a part of the planes were damaged to a great extent during transportation. With these damages, airplane crashes in the War of Independence delayed the idea of building an air museum.
In 1960, with the directive of Chief of Air Force Gen. Irfan Tansel the idea of establishing air museum in Türkiye on came to the agenda published in 1963. For this purpose an order of protection and one from each Air Force aircraft used in other unions have been asked. As a result of the work carried out in 1966 Air Museum Organization was formed and on May 15, 1971 Türkiye's first air museum was opened in Izmir Cumaovası within the Civil Airport.
Despite its great interest in its opening, search for a new residential area for the Air Museum started, because it did not attract many visitors due to distance from the city center and transportation difficulties. Since the reconstruction of the Cumaovası apron, the development of the vicinity for training flights, and the use of civil air traffic in this area have brought new problems in terms of settlement of the Air Museum.
The Air Museum continued to operate in İzmir-Cumaovası until 1978. As a result of the examination; considering the location, the potential of visitors, the facilities of development and residence, the place where the first air union was established, it was determined that the most suitable settlement area for the Air Museum was the field at the end of the airport which belong the Air Force Academy.
Due to the reasons explained above, the construction of the new Air Museum building started in 1977 and was completed in 1983. Built on a total area of 65,000 square meters, covering 2,365 m² closed and 12,000 m² open spaces, the interior decoration and decoration of the museum was realized by the technical staff and experts of Mimar Sinan University and the Istanbul Provincial Culture, Display and Monuments Directorate, within the framework of modern museum standards of the day. The Air Museum was opened on Oct 16, 1985 by Chief of Air Staff General Halil SÖZER.
Source: Turkish Air Force
Visit 2nd of July 2022 by Ton van Schaik
North American F-100C Super Sabre 54-2089/3-089. In 1972-74 111 ex USAF F-100Cs replaced the F-84F/Q. Four F--100 squdrons 111, 112, 171 and 172 Filo replaced the F-100 with new F-4Es, 181 and 182 Filo both re-equipped in 1986 with ex Canadian CF-104s. The last squadrons were 131and 132 Filo at Konya which used them in lead-in fighter role. For this role the TuAF received 15 ex USAF F-100F duals in 1977-78 . The F-100 was withdrawn in 1988, the last flight was made on June 24, 1988.
Douglas C-47A 6052 43-30726. YSL-52 in a VIP scheme, and in the markings of the HAVA HARP OKULU, the Air War School. YSL is the code for Yesilkoy where it was based. This C-47A was delivered on May 31,1948, and withdrawn on April 12, 1979. In total 110 C-47s were delivered, 7 were transferred ellswhere shortly afterr delivery and replaced by aircraft twith the same serials. The type was replaced in 1993-97 by the CN235. The last flight was made on January 8, 1998.
Previous visit in May 1995
by Ron Damstra, Marinus Dirk Tabak (photos) and Volkert Jan van den Berg
Statue Turkish Air Force
North American T-6G Texan 7504/04, is one of 11 ex USAF Texans delivered in 1957. In total the TuAF had 196 Texans and Harvards. The T-6Gs were among the last that were in service when the type was withdrawn in 1974. They were replaced by the T-41D in the primary and the T-37C in the basic training role.