NATIONAAL MILITAIR MUSEUM, park Air Base Soesterberg
On the 11th of December 2014 King Willem-Alexander officially opened the National Military Museum. At the former airbase in Soesterberg, the collections that were previously in the Military Aviation Museum in Soesterberg and the Army Museum in Delft are brought together under one roof. The new museum, designed by Felix Claus Dick Van Wageningen Architects, seeks the connection with both the landscape outside and the numerous large objects inside.
Fokker S-14 Power trainer - Klu registration L-11 -Factory number 7356 - Proof of registration number 574 - Total flight hours 1351 active hours. The 'L-11' was transferred to the KLu on 30 December 1955 and was in use until the beginning of 1964. In June 1964 the aircraft was transferred to the Anthony Fokkerschool and was used there until 1979 for instruction purposes. Between 1979 and 1981 it was subsequently refurbished at Gilze-Rijen Air Base and made suitable for display in the MLM.
This exhibited F-86K never flew with the Klu but comes from the Italian Air Force. The aircraft was built at Fiat with the number 53-8305. With s/n 38305 delivered to the Italian Air Force with registration number 51-23 and later 51-67. The aircraft was in service with the 51st Stormo at Rimini AB as a target plane. The aircraft was flown to Deelen AB in 1973. The route ran from Rimini, Caselle Reims to Deelen. At that time the aircraft had 2588 active hours. The aircraft was in time for the celebration of 60 years Klu on 30-06-1973. The same year the aircraft was transported to the Klu museum in Soesterberg.
The original Q-305 (c/n 54-1305) does not belong to the aircraft that were handed over to the Italian Air Force but was demolished on Soesterberg AB. The aircraft entered service in July 1956 and was demolished in October 1964. Flight hours were 1350.7. It had been in service with 700 squadron at Twenthe AB and also flew with the squadron code 6A-10. The reason chosen for Q-305 at the museum plane is that the construction number of the demolished F-86 also ended at 305.
As a result of the 'cleanup rage' in the 1960s, no copy of the F-86K was retained. With the permission of the United States, Italy donated a licensed F-86K Saber (with USAF registration 53-8305) to the Netherlands. The aircraft was put out of service shortly before the 5th Stormo of the Italian Air Force at Rimini Air Base. On 12 June 1973 this aircraft landed at Deelen AB, where it received the registration Q-305 and was provided with Dutch colors, as in use with the 700 Squadron.
At the KLu an F-86K (with USAF registration 54-1305) with the registration Q-305 flew operational, but that aircraft was demolished in October 1964.
This RF-84F Thunderflash was delivered to the United States Air Force on April 13, 1955 and transferred to the Royal Netherlands Air Force (Klu). On 11 August it arrived by ship in the port of Rotterdam and was stored at Avio-Diepen on Ypenburg. It entered service with 306 Squadron on May 12, 1959 and was transferred to Greece on April 13, 1963. With the Greek Air Force it operated until 1987 with the serial 11253 (see photo below).Via intermediate stops in Italy and Germany it arrived at Volkel Air Base on 29 July 1988. Four months later it was transferred to the Naval Air Base Valkenburg by low-loader, where it was repainted in the color scheme of the Klu. On 25 July 1989 it was handed over to the Military Aviation Museum.
Photo at Volkel AB of RF-84F 11253 from the Hellenic Air Force. ©Unknown/Collection Volkert Jan van den Berg.
Grumman US-2N Tracker - Construction number 721 - M.L.D. registration 160 - Total flight hours 3089.8 active hours. In August 1960 the '160' entered service with the MLD and flew with the Aircraft Squadrons 2, 4, 5 and 320. In December 1970 it was converted into S-2N and in 1972 to US-2N. On 30 September 1975 it was taken out of service and has been part of the MLM collection since 1981. Built as S-2a Tracker, later converted to S-2N.18-08-1960 put into use by the M.L.D. - 01-02-1974 to 320 squadron as target plane - 30-09-1975 decom-missioned and stored at De Kooy. Transported to the MLM store in Gilze-Rijen. 1981 to the MLM and since that time is part of the permanent exhibition.
On August 27, 1956, Hunter F.Mk.4 with the registration N-122 was delivered by Fokker to the 324 squadron and flew consecutively with the 327, 323 and 325 squadron before it moved on 30 September 1958 to the Flight Service Squadron at Leeuwarden AB. On 29 May 1959 it was written off after 227.5 flight hours and transferred for instructional purposes to the Air Force Technical School in Deelen. Since early 1984 it is part of the MLM collection.
- Lockheed SP-2H Neptune - Registration 201 - Construction number 7241.
- This Lockheed P2V-7B/SP-2H '201' was handed over to the MLD on 8 September 1962 and deployed at the 321 squadron from Biak in Dutch New Guinea. After returning in 1962 it was converted into SP2-H and flew at the 320 squadron from the Naval Air Station Valkenburg and the Navy Air Base Hato in Curaçao. After returning from the Netherlands Antilles, the '201' made its last flight on 9 November 1981. Two ultramodern MacDonell F-15Cs of the 32nd Tactical Fighter Squadron formed an appropriate escort during the twenty-minute flight to Soesterberg AB.
This MiG-21PFM comes from a Russian air base in Poland, where the hull was placed on a pedestal. Personnel of the 313 Squadron from Twenthe AB received permission in June 1992 to transfer the hull to the Netherlands. With the help of MiG-21 parts, originating from Drewitz AB of the former East German Air Force, the aircraft was as far as possible restored to its original state and provided with Russian license plates. The registration 47 can be traced back to the day on which the restoration was finished, viz. February 16, 1993, which is the 47th day of the year. Since January 7, 1994, the MiG-21 is part of the MLM collection.
1952-built North American F-86F-35-NA Sabre FU-385 (52-5385) seen in 32nd FDS colours. However coded as FU-385/25385 this aircraft was never flown by 32nd FDS at Soesterberg. This North American F-86F-35-NA Sabre is the ex 52-5180 that served with the U.S. Air Force and was transferred in 1959 to the FAP - Portuguese Air Force as 5307. Early November 1979, the 5307 was flown to Soesterberg by a Lockheed C-130 Hercules. At Soesterberg the aircraft was repainted in USAF '25385' colors with 32nd FDS tail scheme. Early 1991 the Sabre was added to the collection of the MLM at Soesterberg. On 1 July 2013, the MLM (Militaire Luchtvaart Museum) was closed and the collection, including the North American F-86F-35-NA Sabre FU-385, went to the new build NMM that opened on 11 December 2014. The real 52-5385 was written off at Luke AFB, Arizona, on 13 July 1962.
In 1969 the Greek Air Force received a squadron of Delta Daggers from the US Air Force, including this aircraft with serial 56-1052. The type was withdrawn in 1974, and this aircraft was stored at Elefsis in Greece. In 1997 this F-102A was taken over by the Friends of the Military Aviation Museum from the Greek Air Force and loaned to the MLM. The serial 61032 (56-1032) is of the commander aircraft of the 32nd Fighter Interceptor Squadron and it painted in a scheme that was used in the period 1960-1963. The real 1032 went to the USA on 3 July 1969 for service with the 132nd FIS Maine ANG, a year later it was transferred to the 159th FIS Florida ANG. In 1974 the unit received the F-106 and 1032 was placed in storage at Davis Monthan AFB. In 1979 it departed and was converted into a PQM102B drone.
Agusta-Bell 204B (I) UH-1. Registration number: 225 Construction number: 3023
Total number of flying hours with the M.L.D. 3136.6 ac / hrs
The Agusta-Bell was purchased to support the Marine Corps. The first two, the 220 and the 221, were intended for deployment in the former Dutch New Guinea but never got there. The 225 was delivered on December 14, 1962 and assigned to VSQ 7. First at Valkenburg and later at De Kooy. The 225 has also been stationed at Hato on Curacao. In addition to transport tasks, the aircraft was also used as a rescue helicopter. This aircraft is also known to have made an emergency landing in the Willemstad in North Brabant. Date November 1968. The helicopter was phased out on December 23, 1977 and in 1978 sold together with all other Agustas in service to the company Sky Controls Inc. in May 1978, Sun Valley California in the United States. The aircraft were shipped via Germany and it seems that the new owner was disappointed because he was assuming that they were UH-1Bs instead of AB204s. The AB204 has a different rotor system and a Rolls Royce engine. The aircraft were still offered for sale to Iran, but there was political opposition to this. In 1992, the Swedish Air Force purchased the aircraft, including the 225. The Swedish Air Force flew with the same type and had major problems with their rotor systems for which no new parts were actually delivered. The Swedish Air Force did not use the aircraft and they were handed over to the Flygvapen Museum in Linköping. However, they had no historical value for the Swedes. For the celebration of the 85th anniversary of the M.L.D. there was a need for an Agusta Bell. In addition, the MLM an AB-204 in its collection and eventually the Swedes agreed to deliver two aircraft. Take a closer look at the 220 and the 225, whereby the 225 proved to be by far in the best condition. The 225 has been refurbished at De Kooy and a team consisting of Adjutant Faken and the Corporals F. de Vries, A. de Rover, F. Boulier, V. van Ieperen and M. Schenk spent 1000 working hours on the restoration. The '225' served from 18 March 1962 to 23 December 1977 at VSQ1 and VSQ7. After returning from Sweden, the aircraft was refurbished in 2002 by employees of MVKK and MLM.
On February 1, 2003, during a symposium on "Half a century of Search and Rescue" at the Military Aviation Museum, the 225 was officially handed over to the director of the Military Aviation Museum by the director of the Flygvapen Museum in Linköping, Sven Scheiderbauer.
Fighter aircraft Curtiss P-6E Hawk (1: 1 replica) registration number C-319
In 1929 the Military Aviation of the Royal Dutch-Indian Army (ML-KNIL) choose the Curtiss Hawk. 8 were ordered. Including reserve devices, 14 were needed. In 1932, 6 more were ordered from Aviolanda in Papendrecht. The aircraft were assigned to the 1st Fighter Aircraft Department in Andir and served until 1935. This device from the collection of the National Military Museum is a replica. The C-319 represents one of the 6 aircraft that were built at Aviolanda at the time. This replica was built at the Cradle of Aviation Museum on Long Island, New York and was donated by the Friends of the Military Aviation Museum Foundation. The Curtis Hawk type is during and after the Second World War (W02) by the Military Aviation group of the Royal Dutch East IndiesArmy (ML-KNIL). These aircraft were deployed during W02 above Malacca, Sumatra, Java and Surabaya.This 1: 1 scale replica was built by the Cradie of Aviation Museum (Garden City, New York, USA) d.t.v. the Friends of the Military Aviation Museum Foundation a replica of an aircraft, type: Curtis Hawk biplane, C319, donated to the Military Aviation Museum in Soesterberg. This aircraft has great value for the collection of the Dutch Military Aviation and is now part of the collection of the National Military Museum.
The F-4E-35-MC with line number 3011 is the 167th built F-4E. The aircraft flew its first flight on 18 May 1968. August 28, 1968 accepted by the USAF. More than three months passed between the first flight and the delivery to the USAF. This may have been due to the phenomenon that no radars were available. The 275 was delivered on August 28 to the 33rd TFW on Eglin Air Force Base. The 33rd steamed squadrons in 1967-69 ready for deployment in Southeast Asia. First a number of F-4D squadrons and in 1968-69 four F-4E squadrons. The 40th Tactical Fighter Squadron left for Korat in Thailand in November 1968 and became the 469th TFS with tail code "JV". The 40th was rested and manned at Eglin. Tail code was "EE" with a greenish-white tail tip. In May 1969 the 40th went to Korat again with, among others, the 67-0275. On Korat, the 40th continued on May 10, 1969 as the 34th TFS with "JJ" tail code. The 34th flew the last mission on May 9, 1969 with the F-105 Thunderchief. The Thunderchiefs went to the 355th TFW at Takhli. The first mission with the F-4E was flown on 15 May. The squadron color of the 34th was black and was applied to the cockpit frames of the F-4E. The inside of main nosewheel door was painted black with the last three of the serial in white. A sharks teeth was applied on the nose. The 34th was traditionally red as a squadron color, with the 388th red was already the color of the 421stTFS that was discontinued in 1967. Soon after arrival, the Phantoms were given names and artwork. A photo, taken in July 1969, shows the "275" with on the engine air intake a white cloud with the name "Sweetie Pie". A light brown radar cone is striking. These artworks were removed in late 1971 when an inspection by top brass was expected. On September 12, 1972 the aircraft was used to score an MiG kill, a North Vietnamese MiG-21 with an AIM-9E Sidewinder by a 35th TFScrew, Lt. Col. Lyle Beckers and 1 Lt. Thomas M. Griffen. The 35th TFS was an F-4D squadron stationed at Kunsan AB, in South Korea. In 1972 the aircrews of the 35th were divided among the squadrons in Thailand. A second kilI was scored on October 8, 1972. In 1973-78 the device had two MiG kills on the splitter, a mistake? Because later the 8 October MiG-kill was credited to another 34th TFS Spook F-4E 69-0276, this box was the cigar itself on 12 October when the aircraft was shot. In mid-1974, the 34th received the F-4D and the F-4Es went to the 3rd TFW, 36th TFS on Osan AB, South Korea. The 67-0275 went to the 36th on June 23, 1974 and was coded "UK" the squadron code and tip color of the 36th. The 3rd TFW with two squadrons was the 35th and 8Oth TFS with the F-4D stationed at Kunsan AB. The 36th TFS went on September 16, 1974 to the 8th TFW which took the place of the 3rd. On September 30, 1974 the 5lst Composite Wing was activated on Osan including the 36th TFS, seen as 'OS' red in July 1975. In the period December 30, 1974 - May 24, 1975 the '275' was with Air Asia in Taiwan, where the aircraft was overhauled and was modified and equipped with leading edge slats. Upon return it became the 51CW commanders aircraft with 51CW on the fin. On August 11, 1977, the aircraft went to the 3rd TFW at Clark AB, Philippines, receiving tail code "PN" with an red fin tip from the 9Oth TFS, noted in December 1978 with two MiG kills on the splitter plate in front of the engine air intake. Then 275 went to the 3rd TFS "PN" blue, seen in January 1981. In September 1981, together with the 67-0387, the aircraft left for the 5Oth TFW, Hahn AB, Germany. The two Spooks were exchanged for two FY74-USAFE aircraft with satellite navigation. Seen as "HR" red in November 1981. The 50th was equipped with the F-16 and the "275" was seen without markings on April 9, 1982.
The aircraft left in April 1982 and went back to the 3rd TFW, seen as "PN" blue in June 1982. Then the aircraft left for the USA and came to the strength of the 4th TFW, 337th TFS Seymour Johnson AFB, in the green-gray 'European One' scheme, 'SJ' red in September 1984 and as 'SJ' without tip color in April 1985, then to the 37th TFW George AFB (on the strength in January 1986), as 'WW' blue (562nd TFS) in August 1986, 'WW' red (563rd TFS) in October / November 1986. 'Hill' gray (F-1 6 schedule) 'WW' red in May 1987. Then to the 35th TFW 'GA' silver (2Oth TFTS: the German training squadron), 'GA' black (2lst TFTS) November 1988- April 1989.On 25 September 1989 the aircraft was finally transferred to the AMARC on Davis-Monthan AFB, with parking code FP31 0 (310th F-4).